Occupy Boone – One Love Gathering November 5, 2011
- Robert/Julia Roskind – Intercultural events, One Love events, Hopi/Maya elders, Occupy involvement, Look at past but move into the future.
- Elizabeth – Longtime resident/activist/organizer, Facilitator, Trainer of nonviolent/anti-oppression groups
- Justin Hall – Stacker
- Trace Moon – Minutes
- 35-40 people in attendance
Schedule of Meeting as displayed below:
Format of Meeting
- Explanation and overview of proposals/concerns, hand-motions, step-asides, consensus, blocking, Q&A
Reports from previous meetings
- Nov 2nd event on campus – in solidarity with Occupy Oakland, confronted Republican Student group (1%ers).
- Nov 4th event downtown – demonstration of about 10 in front of Jones House, public awareness with signs/rally, someone from general public argued and loudly confronted an Occupy person dressed in military uniform.
- Move weekly rally to more visible area (321/105 Wells Fargo). Parking in McDonald’s or Wendy’s/Bojangles
- Consolidate outreach communication with ASU, FB, and community.
- Main page Occupy Boone (1000+ members) as starting point and main FB page, eventually eliminate other smaller FB group page (approx. 95 members)
- Also a WordPress, a non-FB discussion forum, and an Appalachian internet group
- OccupyBoone/Wordpress.org is the current website for all information/events
- Create poster to display at all meetings/rally about communication information
- Satellite pages okay, but one main FB page is all that is needed
- WordPress page is linking satellite pages/groups information
- Need donations to pay for actual domain occupyboone.org
- High Country General Assembly for tri-counties (Watauga, Ashe, Avery)
- People who actually show up make decisions
- Website cost, registration $10, maintain for one year $52 (Trace Moon paid these amounts for her websites through Charlottezweb.com)
- Group FB page has documents availability, Community FB page for people to like but no documents/notes can be made
- Post WordPress link on main page to move everyone from 1000+ page to WordPress
- Concern over person “Occupy Boone” who has not revealed themselves
- Explanation of WordPress, people can post, also has information/events/meeting notes
- Able to moderate and prevent Trolls? Yes
- PROPOSAL: Use 1000+ page as main page, WordPress as main non-FB page.
- Clarification of what the individual “occupy boone” has control of, can they be communicated/coordinated with? Yes
- PROPOSAL: 1000+ FB page is official FB page, and “OccupyBoone.Wordpress.org” (setup by Bre) is official non-FB page , volunteer Communications working group created to coordinate between FB (Trace Moon) and WordPress (Bre). APPROVED BY CONSENSUS
- St. Paul principles discussed/explained by Zach
- PROPOSAL: to adopt these principles.
- PROPOSAL: to have more time to think/read up on St. Paul principles and adopt principles of MLK later, not need yet
- PROPOSAL: to refrain from personal attacks on FB page and wordpress page
- PROPOSAL: to create working group to come up with ideals of solidarity to be discussed at next GA meeting (Saturday, Nov. 12th, 2pm at UU Church)
- No Consensus reached on the proposals of principles
- PROPOSAL: Action every Friday 4-6pm at Wells Fargo intersection, General Assembly every Saturday 2-5pm at either UU Church or place-to-be-announced depending on availability, Logistics working group created. APPROVED BY CONSENSUS.
- EVENT: Dec. 10 event at Crossroads/ASU, pending approval through ASU, appointment scheduled for 11/8 and 11am. Trace Moon and Robert Roskind will attend appointment.
PROPOSAL OF WORKING GROUPS:
- Communication group (FB/Wordpress/Media coordination) – Bre, Trace, Amiris, Barbara, Katie
- Facilitation group – Keith, Elizabeth, Justin, Patrick
- Logistics group – Samantha, Robert
- Principles of Solidarity group – Barbara, Steve, Donna, Robert, Erin, Paula, Linda, Steven
- Direct Action group – Tim, Christina, Jamie, Patrick, Keith, Robert
APPROVED BY CONSENSUS